This certification course is open enrollment there are no prerequisites necessary to take this course only a love of the horse and a desire to learn!
This program is a series of online lectures and a 5 day live lab practical session which provide the student with a solid foundation in equine anatomy, physiology, musculoskeletal palpation, conformation and postural assessment. Students will be introduced to the principals and theory of massage. Introduction to Swedish massage, sports massage, trigger points, stress point, and myofascial release techniques will be covered. There are short examinations after each online lecture 80% passing grade is required along with passing the practical examination to gain CEMT status.
During the 5 day live lab session the student will review equine anatomy, practice palpation, and application of the techniques covered in the online lecture series. A practical examination will be give on day 5 of the lab session.
- Understand Anatomical Vocabulary Including Directional Terminology and Veterinary vs. Layman’s Terminology
- Master the Equine Skeletal System – Axial Skeleton & Apendicular Skeleton
- Build the Muscle System onto a model
- Describe and Palpate all Bony Landmarks on Live Subjects
- Review the Superficial Muscle System
- Understand the Function of the Reciprocal Apparatus and Passive Stay Apparatus
- Perform a Basic Conformation Assessment
- Understand the Application and Theory of Massage
- Demonstrate Proper Technique when Applying the Different Massage Strokes
- Discuss Structural and Functional Relationships
- Identify and Palpate Relevant Musculoskeletal Abnormalities
- Safety Issues, Indications and Contraindications for Equine Massage
- Recognize Normal vs Abnormal Gait Variables
- Discuss the Unique Features of an Equine Massage Therapy Business
- Short examination after each online lecture module 80% passing grade and Practical Examination during live lab session.
5 day Live Lab at the Animal Rehab Institute, Palm Beach County FL:
August 25 – September 1, 2018 or April 3 -April 7, 2019